Single Point of Contact
For unaccompanied homeless college students.
What is a Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for college students?
SPOCs are safe and supportive college administrators committed to helping unaccompanied homeless youth (UHY) navigate the college process. They connect students with campus departments, services, and provide ongoing support.
Connecticut’s SPOC System
SPOC networks are located throughout the country. In December of 2017, Connecticut took the first steps in establishing this network in our state. A partnership began with Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) and Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness (CCEH) to address the significant barrier housing insecurity presents to student success. Several institutions have joined our work in exploring how to get more accurate data concerning homelessness and housing insecurity and how to implement a Single Point of Contact (SPOC) system to provide a more comprehensive, consistent and trackable response to homeless students.
If you are a student experiencing severe housing instability or homelessness, please contact the SPOC at your college or university for support.CT SPOC Contact List
CCEH Publications & Data
- 2018 Homelessness and Housing Instability In Connecticut Colleges and Universities (PDF)
Report prepared by the Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness for the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) in conjunction with the 2018 CT Youth Count.
- Data Dashboard of the 2018 CT Youth Count Results For College Students
- 2017 Hungry and Homeless In College Report (PDF)
The Wisconsin HOPE Lab along with the Association of Community College Trustees results from a national study of basic needs insecurity in higher education.
- The hidden problem of homelessness on college campuses (News Article)
- Preventing and Ending Homelessness at Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (PPT)
The December 4, 2018 presentation at Manchester Community College.
- CT Youth Count webpage
- CT Colleges and Universities Plan for 2018 CT Youth Count! (Press Release)
- SPOC Guide to the Youth Count 2018 (DOC)
- Sample Youth Count marketing poster for Colleges and Universities (DOC)
- SPOC Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Tip Sheet (PDF)
- College Access and Success for Students Experiencing Homelessness: A Toolkit for Educators and Service Providers (PDF)
A robust toolkit created by the National Center for Homeless Education.
- Kennessaw State University’s Supports for Students Experiencing Homelessness (PDF)
The National Center for Homeless Education highlight’s KSU’s support systems in place for students experiencing homelessness, including SPOC.
- National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY)
- SchoolHouse Connection